World > India > Museums > The Government Museum Bharatpur
The Government Museum, Bharatpur
Located in the centre of the famous Lohagarh fort, the Bharatpur museum houses a rich collection of archaeological wealth of the nearby areas as well as from the old Bharatpur state. The huge palatial building Kachahari kalan, once the administrative block of the rulers of Bharatpur state, was converted into a Museum in 1944 AD. Later on, the Kamra Khas (personal chamber) building on the first floor was added to the museum.
It exhibits sculptures found during the excavation of old villages e.g. Noh, Mallah, Bareh, Bayana etc. ranging from the Kushan period (Ist century AD) to 19th century AD. Weapons used in battles in the medieval period the Jat rulers, paintings, manuscripts, zoological specimens, local art and craft that was once Bharatpur.
The Art Gallery of the museum has specimens of miniature paintings on leaves of the peepal tree, mica and old lithopapers along with the paintings of the Maharajas of Bharatpur.
On the upper story one section consists of various types of guns & miniature canons used during 18th century AD called 'Chaddra'. These miniature canons - two sets of eleven each, were used by Maharaja Sawai Jawahar Singh in the battle while passing through the Jaipur territory on his return from a pilgrimage to Pushkar.
The whole museum has been divided into the following sections : Archaeology, Armory, Arts, Crafts and Industry, Children's Gallery, Miscellaneous.
Timings : 10 am - 4.30 pm, Friday closed. Entry : Rs.3 & Rs.10 (foreigners).